Why was this study done?
The cholesterol lowering effects of fiber are well known, but the amount of fiber one should take is less known. This study was designed to help determine the best dose of a mixed fiber (psyllium, pectin, and guar/locust bean gums) product. Participants were given a mixed fiber product containing 5 grams/day, 10 grams/day, or 15 grams/day.
What did the study find?
The 5-gram dose lowered total cholesterol by 6 percent and LDL cholesterol by 8 percent. The 10-gram dose lowered total cholesterol by 5 percent and LDL cholesterol by 6 percent. The 15-gram dose lowered total cholesterol by 12 percent and LDL cholesterol by 18 percent.
The Effect of Three Doses of a Water Soluble Dietary Fiber (WSDF) Mixture on Plasma Cholesterol in Humans.
Authors: Spiller G, et al. International Symposium on Multiple Risk Factors in Cardiovascular Disease, 1990: p. 89.
PDF Abstract: Symposium on Cardiovascular Disease, 1990.