Tart Cherry Extract
Tart cherry extract is extract from fresh whole fruit of tart cherry (Montmorency cherry) (Prunus cerasus) using water and ethanol and standardized to polyphenol content.
Sweet and sour cherries contain several antioxidants and polyphenols including anthocyanins that possess many biological activities, such as antioxidant, anticancer and antiinflammation properties1. Clinical studies had shown that supplementing tart cherry juice reduced oxidative stress2 and tart juice concentrate and powder were efficacious in reducing delay-onset muscle soreness and support muscle recovery after exercise3,4. Studies were also shown that certain cherries and tart cherry juice have some benefits in improving sleep5,6.
- Ferretti G1, Bacchetti T, Belleggia A, Neri D. Cherry antioxidants: from farm to table. Molecules. 2010 Oct 12;15(10):6993-7005.
- Traustadóttir T1, Davies SS, Stock AA, Su Y, Heward CB, Roberts LJ II, Harman SM. Tart cherry juice decreases oxidative stress in healthy older men and women. J Nutr. 2009 Oct;139(10):1896-900.
- Bell PG, Stevenson E, Davison GW, Howatson G. The Effects of Montmorency Tart Cherry Concentrate Supplementation on Recovery Following Prolonged, Intermittent Exercise. Nutrients. 2016 Jul 22;8(7).
- Levers K, Dalton R, Galvan E, Goodenough C, O’Connor A, Simbo S, Barringer N, Mertens-Talcott SU, Rasmussen C, Greenwood M, Riechman S, Crouse S, Kreider RB. Effects of powdered Montmorency tart cherry supplementation on an acute bout of intense lower body strength exercise in resistance trained males. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015 Nov 16;12:41.
- Garrido M, Paredes SD, Cubero J, Lozano M, Toribio-Delgado AF, Muñoz JL, Reiter RJ, Barriga C, Rodríguez AB. Jerte Valley cherry-enriched diets improve nocturnal rest and increase 6-sulfatoxymelatonin and total antioxidant capacity in the urine of middle-aged and elderly humans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010 Sep;65(9):909-14.
- Losso JN, Finley JW, Karki N, Liu AG, Prudente A, Tipton R, Yu Y, Greenway FL. Pilot Study of the Tart Cherry Juice for the Treatment of Insomnia and Investigation of Mechanisms. Am J Ther. 2018 Mar/Apr;25(2):e194-e201.