Rhubarb Root Powder
Rhubarb root (Rheum palmatum or Rheum officinale) is grown in China and Tibet. The roots are harvested, dried, and ground into a fine powder. Rhubarb root, traditionally valued for its use in herbal formulas to promote regularity.
Rhubarb root may have anti-inflammatory properties.1 Consumption of rhubarb root may prevent constipation and work as a laxative.2,3 It has been suggested in preclinical and lab studies that rhubarb root may reduce the risk of fatty liver, lower blood lipid levels, and stimulate insulin secretion in type 2 diabetes.4,5
- Cai J, Xuan ZR, Wei YP, Yang HB, Wang H. [Effects of perioperative administration of Rhubarb on acute inflammatory response in patients with gastric cancer]. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2005 May;3(3):195-8. Chinese. PubMed PMID: 15885167.
- Rhubarb root. American Botanical Council. Accessed in August 2015. http://cms.herbalgram.org/commissione/Monographs/Monograph0314.html
- Yan XJ, Feng TS, Wang YG, Yuan ZY, Lei F, Xiao XY, Xing DM, Du LJ. [Understanding differences between Rheum palmatum and R. franzenbachii from perspective of chemistry, efficacy and toxicity]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2014 Oct;39(19):3876-80. Chinese. PubMed PMID: 25612458.
- Shin SS, Yoon M. The herbal composition GGEx18 from Laminaria japonica, Rheum palmatum, and Ephedra sinica inhibits high-fat diet-induced hepatic steatosis via hepatic PPARα activation. Pharm Biol. 2012 Oct;50(10):1261-8. doi: 10.3109/13880209.2012.666982. Epub 2012 Aug 8. PubMed PMID: 22870903.
- Tian JY, Chen L, Zhang XL, Li J, Han J, Yang XM, Zhang PC, Du PG, An LP, Ye F. [Investigation of a compound, compatibility of Rhodiola crenulata, Cordyceps militaris, and Rheum palmatum on metabolic syndrome treatment III–controlling blood glucose]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2013 May;38(10):1570-6. Chinese. PubMed PMID: 23947140.